Why rent a bike in La Rochelle: here are 5 good reasons
If you come to La Rochelle for your family vacation, or simply for a few days as a couple or with friends, don’t forget to plan a bike trip. This means of transport, soft and durable, is probably the most suitable if you want to discover the region in complete freedom. We explain why renting a bike in La Rochelle is an absolutely essential activity.
1. For the quality of infrastructure
One of the most developed infrastructures for bicycles in France, the city of La Rochelle is regularly cited among the cities most suitable for cycling. This is no coincidence: overview
The Rochelaise agglomeration has about 230 km of cycle facilities. So, if you want to wander around the old town or the port, then reach more outlying places such as the Pallice district, Tasdon or Les Minimes, you can do so in complete safety thanks to the coverage of the La Rochelle cycle network. . Do you also want to broaden your horizons and visit the surrounding towns? No problem, tracks specially dedicated to cyclists take you there. Once there, you will have no difficulty parking your bike. The parking offer is also very dense:
- 3400 parking spaces with hoop, so you can securely attach your bicycle to a fixed point
- 100 secure parking spaces in car parks (Saint Nicolas car park and Arsenal car park)
To book your bike: Bike rental in La Rochelle
2. To practice eco-tourism
Whatever your means of transport, the impact on the environment is not nil. It is therefore extremely important to promote soft mobility as much as possible for your trips.
If walking is naturally the most favorable for the environment, pedaling remains the best compromise for those who wish to visit as many places as possible. And if you want to pedal effortlessly, opt for an electric bike. Indeed, due to its coastal location, the city of La Rochelle is relatively large.
From the North with the La Pallice district, to the South with the Minimes marina, passing through the old port and the historic center, La Rochelle offers sumptuous walks by the sea. By renting a bike in La Rochelle, you will be able to visit the city in its smallest corners with a very limited impact on the environment, but also take advantage of what you cannot see by car or public transport. So let yourself be surprised!
3. For the proximity to the Ile de Ré
Often considered as two different destinations, the Ile de Ré and La Rochelle are nevertheless geographically very close. So why not take advantage of your stay in La Rochelle to make a trip to the Ile de Ré?
After having visited the city from top to bottom, why not rent an electric bike in La Rochelle, and go on an excursion to the Ile de Ré? Indeed, from the center of La Rochelle, the Ile de Ré bridge is only about twenty minutes away by a secure cycle route. The crossing of the bridge is free for bicycles and is carried out without difficulty thanks to the electric assistance. Once on the island, you are free to choose your route:
- Old stones with the fortified citadel under Vauban in Saint Martin, the Châtelliers abbey and the pretty little port of La Flotte in the North
- Beaches as far as the eye can see and natural paradise along the south coast
- Salt marshes and whale lighthouse at the end of the island
Depending on the season, take the opportunity to do an initiation to surfing, or a windsurfing session. In the morning, stroll through the medieval market of La Flotte. Take an oyster tasting break with your feet in the water along the slopes. One thing is certain: whatever your choice, you will not be able to regret your trip to this magical island.
Our bike rental offers in La Rochelle are specifically designed for excursions on the Ile de Ré. Indeed, our bikes, all electric, have excellent autonomy, and can carry everything you need. So, don’t hesitate any longer, discover our bikes .
4. To do a stage of the Vélodyssée
The Vélodyssée is the French part of the famous Eurovélo 1 cycling route, which runs along the west coast of Europe, from Norway to Spain. 1200 km long, it connects Roscoff in Brittany to Hendaye, in the Basque country.
Thus, by renting a bike in La Rochelle, you can complete two stages of this famous route. Think of an electric bike, and you can complete the entire route effortlessly:
- La Rochelle – Marans (about 25 km). Apart from a small passage on shared axes towards Dompierre-sur-Mer, a greenway prohibited to motor vehicles allows you to follow the Marans canal to the town of the same name. No particular difficulty for this step. A journey at your own pace, open to everyone.
- La Rochelle – Rochefort (about 35 km). A little longer than the previous one, this stage runs along the seaside from La Rochelle to Châtelaillon-Plage on a dedicated cycle path. From there, the track leaves the seaside a little to go inland. When you arrive in Rochefort, you will reach the banks of the Charente before arriving in the town centre.
Do not hesitate, these two stages are quite different due to the landscape encountered. If you can’t choose, do them both!
Note that the La Rochelle – Marans stage is also used on the Vélo Francette route, which goes from Ouistreham in Normandy to La Rochelle. By renting a bike in La Rochelle for a few days, you can easily cover several stages of these 2 legendary routes.
To know more:
5. For its mild climate (almost) all year round
Often cited as one of the sunniest cities on the west coast, La Rochelle enjoys a fairly mild climate all year round.
If summer is of course the most lenient period to enjoy beautiful bike rides, the other seasons are to be considered as well. Benefiting from a rather mild oceanic climate, it is perfectly possible to rent a bike in any season. Well equipped, everything allows you to visit the city by bike, but also to push towards the Ile de Ré or further south towards Châtelaillon. Big advantage of this formula: you risk being alone in the world. Change of scenery guaranteed!